Don’t want to change but you want to look like you are? Here are five tips to LOOK like you are improving yourself.
1. Carry around a journal and pen at all times. Periodically stop and ponder something, write a bit and then ponder some more. There is not a more convincing self-help prop than a journal. Keep in mind, since no one is going to read it you can write whatever you want.
2. Drop the following words into your conversation. But remember, just like cinnamon…a little can go a long way.
3. Periodically peruse the self-help aisles of the bookstore. No fear, you don’t really have to buy anything. Just read the titles and get a few authors’ names in your head. Then you can plug this information into conversations or even your email signature. Here’s an example of how you can drop things in… “Hey I know what you mean…You know Wayne, Wayne Dyer (I just love him) writes about that all the time. He’s always writing about Intention. He is so smart.” Or what about this… “Life is such a journey. I just get up every day and “feel the fear anyway.” It’s like there are “infinite possibilities” to my “authentic happiness.” Cool, huh?
4. Say “No” to at least one request per day. But don’t just say “No”. Say something about boundaries and honoring yourself, blah blah blah. All people who are improving themselves do this. Plus, it’s a great way to get out of stuffing envelopes or taking care of your neighbor’s nasty dog.
5. Purchase a few carefully selected bumper stickers. Words such as “Namaste” or “My Karma just ran over your Dogma.” This will show the world that you are a thoughtful and insightful human being. Bingo!
BONUS: Find a quote that declares to the world that you are improving yourself…therefore better than most people. May I suggest “Follow Your Bliss” or that thing that Margaret Mead said about changing the world? I don’t know. Google her and you will find it.
May the road rise up to meet you, May your karma find it’s dharma and miss the dogmas and may your life be filled with sunshine and fairies.